Traditional awards programs focus on the numbers: Test scores, grades, and win-loss records. But college admissions offices know that it takes more than academic success and athletic prowess to predict real-world success in and out of the classroom. The Discus Awards recognize uncommon students whose character and passions are anything but average.
Discus Award winners shine in more ways than one. In fact, the award highlights ten major categories, or attributes, where students can make an important contribution during high school. Every Discus Award winner has a proven track-record in at least three of these attributes:
- Academics: For grades, honors,
AWARD: The Fresh Start Scholarship Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) organization, was established by the Wilmington Women in Business in 1996 to provide financial incentive and mentoring assistance to a woman returning to school to improve her life and opportunities. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, disability, or national origin.
The number and amount of the awards will be determined annually prior to the fall semester but will in no event exceed the costs of tuition, fees, books and other direct educational expenses. Awards will be paid to the college prior to the beginning of each semester.…
There can be several reasons why students struggle in the traditional classroom setting. Here are just a few.
- Pupils often sit at individual desks in rows, with little interaction
- When teachers reach out to students for class participation, the same students tend to answer questions, leaving others excluded
- When time is allotted for non-lecture group work, students often discuss things not related to the current project
- Students often do not feel comfortable asking questions in a large classroom setting
If your child doesn’t seem to be performing to the best of his ability, it may be time to look at …