Did you know that 2/3 of students who cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare? Or, that over 70% of America’s inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level?
It may be hard to believe, but 1 in 4 children in America grow up without learning how to read. And as of 2011, America was the only free-market OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) country where the current generation was less well educated than the previous one.
Literacy is a learned skill. Illiteracy is passed down from parents who …
Did you know…
- Stephanie Wilson of the 2006 NASA Discovery Crew developed an interest in space travel at age 13?
- Renowned surgeon Dr. Ben Carson dreamed of becoming a doctor before he entered the 5th grade?
- Condoleezza Rice was a piano prodigy who credits the long hours of practice and pursuit of perfection with her later success?
What do all three have in common? Academic Enrichment. The opportunity for students to learn more – about nature, space, art, music, or any other topic – can light a spark that may change the course of their life!
This summer, Back …
Now that the school year has wrapped up, it’s a good time to reflect on the hits — and misses — of the year. Did your child abhor subjects he previous loved? Sometimes, subject matter isn’t the only factor in such a situation. What really might be happening is disconnect in teaching and learning styles.
It makes sense that if an instructor’s teaching style matches a child’s learning style, the student will learn better, retain more, be more enthused, and perform at a level that is satisfactory or greater.
And, just as there are multiple learning styles, there are also …
Texting behind the wheel is 6 TIMES more likely to cause a car accident than driving drunk. Buzzkill.
But good news: your thumbs can bring texting and driving to a screeching halt. Here’s how:
1. Order two (free!) pairs of Thumb Socks (yep, lil’ socks for your thumbs).
2. Keep one pair of Thumb Socks, share the other with a friend, and remind them not to text and drive.
3. Submit a pic of you and your friend rocking your Socks. You’ll enter to win a $10,000 scholarship!
Celebrating 30 years of excellence in education!
Back to Basics …