According to the American Psychological Association, “Parent engagement in schools is a shared responsibility in which schools are committed to reaching out to engage parents in meaningful ways, and parents are committed to actively supporting their children’s and adolescents’ learning and development.”
The goal is simple: Provide a link between school and home which reinforces classroom learning and creates a partnership between teacher and parent. This is essential for a positive school experience, since studies have shown that parent engagement in schools can:
- promote a positive educational experience,
- encourage health behaviors,
- improve attendance,
- provide motivation leading to higher grades and higher test scores,
- influence protective factors for health risk behaviors, and
- decrease the likelihood that kids will become involved in substance abuse, violence, and other problem behaviors.
Parents can have a significant impact on their child’s education simply by taking a more active role in monitoring the student’s progress, assignments, attendance, activities, and events. And, consistent parent involvement helps keep students on track academically.
Here are the best ways parents can stay engaged with the child’s school and work together with teachers and administrators for the most positive school experience possible:
- Communicate with teachers
- Participate in activities and events
- Attend parent teacher conferences
- Build a strong relationship with teachers and administrators
- Visit and volunteer in the classroom
- Engage with other parents and create a parent network
- Set up homework policies that support the teacher’s policies
Other ways parents can engage include taking day trips and adding unique learning experiences that reinforce classroom learning, as well as proving enrichment activities.
Educational enrichment opportunities at Back to Basics Learning Dynamics in Wilmington, Delaware
Back to Basics Learning Dynamics offers over 125 unique educational services, the widest array of educational options in the tri-state area including 1:1 instruction in over 60 subjects, from Mandarin Chinese, to computer skills, to Photography, Art and so much more.
To learn more about our educational enrichment options, call 302-594-0754.