With the first-ever summer SAT test scheduled for August, many high school students are busy gearing up. And, test taking tips abound! Most students already know it’s important to get a good night’s sleep the night before, eat a healthy breakfast, and have all supplies, directions, and their ID / license waiting by the front door in the morning.
But, there’s so much more that students can do to prepare!
- Keep calm. The SAT can be a life changing test. So, some nerves are normal. A complete melt-down, however, will only prove counter productive. So, staying calm and focused is essential. According to author Jordan Shakeshaft in a recent Time magazine article, an Abdominal Breathing Technique is a stress reliever before an exam (or any other stressful event). Click here to learn about six different breathing techniques. Master one well before the exam.
- Practice makes perfect. Practice exams are incredibly helpful. And, if you can simulate test taking day (time of day, length of exam, etc.), even better. On test day, you will feel more comfortable and confident with the process, the questions, and the timing. (If you are in Delaware or southeastern PA, Back to Basics offers FREE SAT practice exams. Call 302-594-0754 for more information and to register.)
- Tackle the easy stuff first. It’s crucial, as you take the test, to identify the questions that you find easy (or hard). The SAT is not scored on how many questions you complete. Instead, it’s scored on how many questions are answered correctly. Answer the questions you are certain of first, ensuring you score maximum points. Then, go back and spend more time on the others.
- Use the process of elimination. Since you aren’t penalized for wrong answers, you should always guess. But, that doesn’t mean you should choose an answer at random! Try to eliminate the answers you’re sure are wrong, before selecting an answer. Your chances of guessing correctly will increase dramatically.
- Use time wisely. Struggling with a complex math equation? Skip it! Don’t get mired down in one problem as precious minutes tick away. Come back to it at the end and make an educated guess. Or, if there is time, rework the equation completely.
Still not satisfied with your SAT scores? 1-on-1 SAT Prep helps turn your reach college into a reality.
Prepping for the SAT alone is challenging. Students have to remain diciplined in taking practice exams and studying content areas. Combined with the hectic academic, sports, and work schedules that many high school students juggle, another aproach may be necessary.
Students can get the edge they need with 1-on-1 SAT test preparation. At Back to Basics Learning Dynamics, our in-demand, experienced tutors will provide a completely customized approach focusing on the specific needs of each student. Students will build and strengthen their knowledge, reduce anxiety, and increase confidence. Our students have increased their scores as much as 250 points on the SAT.
Back to Basics offers two different 1-on-1 tutoring packages for the SAT, customized and tailored to the needs of the student:
32-hour SAT Package: This package is suited for first-time test takers and will cover both exam sections. Students will receive a thorough review of test content, test-taking strategies and test timing for the exam. Students will receive prep materials as well as a fully administered and professionally scored practice test.
16-hour SAT Package: Students who have previously taken an SAT exam are eligible for this package, which is streamlined to focus on a particular section of the exam. Tutors will utilize students’ previous test results toward improving subject test results.
Duration of services will be determined by the package selected and backdated from the scheduled test date. Below are important registration deadlines for SAT Prep.
|SAT Test Prep Registration Deadlines|
|SAT Test Date||32-hr. package||16-hr. package|
To learn more about SAT Test Prep, please call 302-594-0754.
About Back to Basics Learning Dynamics, Inc. in Wilmington, Delaware
Back to Basics provides over 125 wide-ranging educational and related services including 1-on-1 tutoring in over 60 subjects, translating and interpreting in over 20 languages, speech and occupational therapists, behavior and reading specialists, paraprofessionals, ELL and computer lab teachers, RTI support and homebound services, psycho-educational testing, 1-on-1 test prep for the SAT, PSAT, SAT II, ACT, GRE, PRAXIS, GED, and HSEE, professional development, summer school, original credit and credit recovery. In addition, we operate Delaware’s only Department of Education-approved, 1-on-1 K-12 Private School in Wilmington, Delaware.