by Beverly Stewart, M.Ed.
With so many tutoring options available today, parents may be understandably confused. Is there truly a difference between 1-on-1 tutoring and small group work? Will SAT Test Prep really help my child get a better score? How will I know if the tutoring is even working?!
Below are six of the most important questions a parent should ask when investigating a tutoring service for their student
- Is the tutoring 1-on-1? The vast difference between 1-on-1 tutoring and small group tutoring simply can’t be overstated. In a 1-on-1 setting, the student has the constant attention of the tutor. And, students may feel more confident without “an audience” of their peers. Plus, the tutor can tailor each session to the unique needs of the student and match the teaching style with the student’s individual learning style.
- Isn’t tutoring just for remedial students? Tutoring is often for remedial students. However, tutoring can also vastly improve subject mastery when a student is simply facing a challenging unit, or during times of transition. Transitional periods, such as the transition to from elementary to middle school or middle school to high school include both high anxiety and higher academic expectations for students. And, tutoring can help keep them on the right path. Plus, smart students know that proactive 1-on-1 tutoring prep for major tests, such as the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, or ACT, is crucial for success. Learning about test timing, the penalties for guessing, test taking techniques, as well as taking actual practice tests with the guidance of an experienced tutor, can make all of the difference.
- What kind of qualifications should tutors possess?
Tutors should have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. And, a Master’s or Doctorate degree is a bonus. They should also possess years of experience teaching in their respective fields. Plus, a passion for teaching and for the subject matter at hand ensures that the student will have a positive experience. And, an engaging personality and teaching style will inspire students. Finally, for the safety of your student, a background check is absolutely essential.
- Where does the tutoring take place? How can I fit this in my already packed schedule?
Your situation is unique. And, tutors should be flexible. Look for a tutoring service that offers solutions that fit your lifestyle, such as tutoring in your home, office, daycare center, summer camp, school, or at the company’s Educational Centers.
- How many subjects are available? Today, your student may need Algebra help. But next semester, it may be Biology, or French, or Chemistry. For a struggling student, choosing a service that offers a wide variety of subject matter, with degreed experts in each, can make the process much smoother for the student.
- What kind of results can I expect? With a solid background in the basics, a student will experience success in many areas of education. Once a tutor has a clear understanding of how the student learns, tutoring sessions will improve current performance. Early on, you will see increased confidence and more interest in the subject matter. Teachers will notice more class participation. Homework will become easier and will be handled more independently. And, of course, grades and test scores will improve!
About Back to Basics Learning Dynamics, Inc.
Back to Basics Learning Dynamics is the undisputed leader in 1-on-1 tutoring in Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania for over 60 subjects. Since 1985, our commitment to a 1-on-1 teaching method has differentiated us from other educational service providers.
We serve the diverse needs of a range of students – from those who simply need some academic support, to those who are learning disabled, hearing or visually impaired, ADHD, gifted, or on the Autism Spectrum including High Functioning Autistic and Aspergers.
And, we offer a menu of services that includes the widest array of educational options in the tri-state area: 1-on-1 tutoring in over 60 subjects, translating and interpreting in 21 languages, speech therapy, occupational therapy, behavior specialists, reading specialists, ELL teachers, homebound services, and psycho-educational testing. In addition, Back to Basics offers exceptional, 1-on-1 test prep for tests including the SAT, PSAT, SAT II, ACT, GRE, PRAXIS, GED, and HSEE. Back to Basics also offers summer school, original credit, and credit recovery, plus unique enrichment options and professional development.
And, Back to Basics operates a unique Department of Education-approved 1-on-1 K-12 Private School in Wilmington, Delaware.