The Bezos Scholars Program at the Aspen Institute is a year-long leadership development program for public high school juniors and educators. It begins with a scholarship to attend the Aspen Ideas Festival and continues through the following school year when Bezos Scholar teams return home to launch sustainable, Local Ideas Festivals that transform their schools and communities. For 11 years Scholar teams have mobilized communities around a range of critical issues to alleviate rural poverty, increase digital literacy, as well as create healthier food environments, inspire conservation leadership, and more.
Every year, 30 top high school juniors and leading educators from across the US and Africa are selected to attend. Successful candidates are ambitious students and educators who bring energy, excellence and a desire to create positive change in their community.
Applications for 2015 are due February 17.
- Public High School (including Charter and Magnet schools)
- At least 25 percent of students are eligible for free/reduced lunch program (this is a firm cutoff)
- Offers Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or college credit courses
- Enrolled in a public high school that meets the above criteria
- Public high school junior during the 2014-15 academic year
- Legal U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Demonstrates leadership in school and community
- Scored exceptionally well on PSAT / SAT / ACT / or practice ACT
- Taking Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate classes or college/community courses
- GPA of 3.5, or higher
- Availability to participate on all dates
Deadlines for 2015 Scholars:
- February 17: Complete applications must be received by the Bezos Family Foundation. Late applications will not be accepted.
- March 27: Finalists notified via email to schedule a required telephone interview with Bezos Scholars Program staff.
- March 30 – April 3: Telephone interviews for finalists.
- April 15: Provisional acceptance of 12 finalists, contingent on the commitment of an Educator Scholar. Alternates and applicants will also be notified.
- April 17: Student Scholar deadline to confirm/decline provisional acceptance.
- April 20-24: Educator Scholars notified; required telephone conversations scheduled with Bezos Scholars Program staff.
- May 1: Educator Scholar deadline to confirm/decline acceptance.
- May 11: Final Student and Educator Scholars announced.
- June 27 – July 3: Bezos Scholars attend the 2015 Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, CO.
For more information, please visit The Bezos Scholars Program.
Excellence in Education since 1985!
Back to Basics Learning Dynamics is the undisputed leader in 1-on-1 tutoring in Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania for over 60 subjects. The company offers a unique Department of Education-approved 1-on-1 K-12 Private School in Wilmington, Delaware and a Delaware Business and Trade School for ages 16 and older. In addition, the company offers translating and interpreting in 16 languages throughout Delaware. Back to Basics is the winner of numerous awards for academic and business excellence including the Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics.