When your child brings home a disappointing report card, take time to process all of the information before reacting. Knowing how to deal with a poor report card may require you to step back and look at things from a different perspective. Following are some steps to achieve that end:
- Read the grading key: What looks to you like a poor grade may not be as bad as it seems.
- Ask how grades are weighted: If more emphasis is put on tests and your child has a hard time taking tests, his grades may not reflect his true understanding of the subject.
- Praise the positive: Find something positive on the report card so your child knows you’re not just looking at the negative.
- Talk about the poor grades without losing your temper: Talk to him about your expectations and why he thinks he hasn’t met them in a calm manner. Otherwise he may feel humiliated and ashamed rather than motivated to work harder.
- Listen to your child: Even though he has a million excuses, he may also have some insights. Maybe he’s distracted or embarrassed to ask for help. Maybe he’s tired from too many extracurricular activities.
- Come up with a game plan to improve the next report card: Set realistic goals and brainstorm ways to meet those goals. Realistic is the key word here.
- Provide supports: Help your child access the supports he needs. Contact his teacher, help him organize his time and get him 1-on-1 tutoring if necessary.
Back to Basics would be privileged to be a part of any plan that will help your child succeed academically. We provide 1-on-1 tutoring in over 60 subjects and are available 7 days a week. We are willing to work around your schedule. For more information, please call us at 302-594-0754 and ask for Angie.
Excellence in Education since 1985!
Back to Basics Learning Dynamics is the undisputed leader in 1-on-1 tutoring in Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania for over 60 subjects. The company offers a unique Department of Education-approved 1-on-1 K-12 Private School in Wilmington, Delaware and a Delaware Business and Trade School for ages 16 and older. In addition, the company offers translating and interpreting in 16 languages throughout Delaware. Back to Basics is the winner of numerous awards for academic and business excellence including the Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics.