Did you know that many teachers fund classroom supplies out-of-pocket? According to one Huffington Post Education article (2015), “All around the country educators are being forced to do more with less. Last year, teachers spent an average of about $500 of their own money on supplies for students.” And of course, some spend far, far more.
But, there is an alternative is Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania. It’s called Treasures for Educators (TFE). TFE is a Pennsylvania-based not-for-profit organization whose mission is to equip classrooms in under-supplied schools in the region — FREE.
TFE donates to over 1,000 preschool, elementary, middle and high school teachers in publicly funded educational schools. From pencils and notebooks, to arts and crafts supplies, to books, teachers can claim the items that their students need most.
Are you a teacher in need of books or supplies?
Terms and conditions for reserving free supplies with TFE:
- Available supplies are listed on the Facebook page
- TFE will be happy to drive the donations to your school or a public meeting location within an hour from Garnet Valley, Pa. Please Google this location before reserving an item. If you are outside of this range, understand that you can meet us at our 1 hour mark.
- Lots are distributed on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in a lot, post your name in the comment section below the photo on Facebook. The first teacher who replies will be contacted. If this teacher doesn’t reply within 2 days to arrange a drop-off, the next person on the list will be contacted and so on. The lot will be listed as “closed” once the items have been delivered.
- Teachers must be present at drop-off and will be asked to show a school identification badge or paystub. Sorry, no exceptions.
- Because demand is so high, teachers can reserve 1 lot per week. If a lot is left over from previous week due to a lack of interest, you may have that lot as well.
- If you like the TFE page on Facebook or follow TFE on Twitter you will receive notification of supplies as they are listed.
To learn more or to donate, visit the Treasures for Educators website. After all, back-to-school is just around the corner!
Back to Basics Learning Dynamics is the undisputed leader in 1-on-1 tutoring in Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania for over 60 subjects. The company also offers 1-on-1 SAT Prep in Delaware, ACT Prep, and Test Prep, translating and interpreting in 16+ languages, homeschool support, educational testing and more. For more information about Back to Basics’ educational services, please call us at 302-594-0754.
Back to Basics operates a unique Department of Education-approved 1-on-1 K-12 Private School in Wilmington, Delaware. For more information about Delaware’s only Department of Education approved 1-on-1 private school, please call us at 302-594-0685.