StudentCam is C-SPAN’s annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think critically about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
Students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the 2016 competition theme, “Road to the White House”, and the issue they most want the candidates to discuss during the 2016 presidential campaign.
With cash prizes totaling $100,000, C-SPAN awards prizes to 150 student documentaries, and 53 teacher advisors!
- The competition is open to all students in grades 6-12. Grades 6-8 compete in the Middle School category, and grades 9-12 compete in the High School category.
- Middle School students are judged nationally against their peers. High School students are judged regionally against their peers in one of 3 regions (West/Central/East), based on their school state.
- Students may compete individually, or in teams of either 2 or 3 members.
- All documentaries must contain supporting C-SPAN footage that relates to the chosen topic.
- C-SPAN’s philosophy is to show varying sides of each issue. Winning StudentCam documentaries will also show a variety of points of view related to the chosen topic.
- Documentaries must be between 5-7 minutes.*End credits, if applicable, may run longer than the allotted 7 minute time frame.
- Entries must contain either end credits or a works cited list.
Monday, November 2, 2015 – January 20, 2016
To be eligible to win a prize in StudentCam 2016 you may submit your team Entry Form and upload your completed documentary video file at any time between November 1, 2015 and January 20, 2016.
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
StudentCam 2016 competition deadline. All eligible entries must be uploaded and received by midnight (PST) at the end of the day on Wednesday, January 20, 2016.
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
C-SPAN will announce the winners of the 2016 StudentCam competition at the Student Cam website.
Entry Form and More Information
Click here to complete the Entry Form for yourself, any teammates, and your teacher advisor (if applicable). For more information including a list of Frequently Asked Questions, please visit Student Cam.
Celebrating 30 years of excellence in education! Back to Basics Learning Dynamics is the undisputed leader in 1-on-1 tutoring in Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania for over 60 subjects. The company offers Delaware’s only Department of Education-approved 1-on-1 K-12 Private School in Wilmington, Delaware and a Delaware Business and Trade School for ages 16 and older. In addition, the company offers translating and interpreting in 16 languages throughout Delaware. Back to Basics is the winner of numerous awards for academic and business excellence including the Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics.